Applications open for 2023 entry Apply online now

Student Visa Application Process

The following information is to assist you in the Student Visa application process. You must follow all of these steps to apply for your visa.

Application Process

If you need a Student Visa to study at Northeastern University London you will need to obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) in order to apply for your visa.

The CAS is an electronic reference document that Northeastern University London produces and is essential for your visa application. This document contains all of the information about you and your programme of study and advises the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) department that Northeastern University London is sponsoring your visa for the duration of your programme of study.

In order to obtain a CAS from Northeastern University London, you must provide supporting documents to the Visa Compliance Team. Once you have provided us with the required information and we are satisfied that they meet UKVI and Northeastern University London requirements we will issue you with the CAS document.

Your CAS can only be used for one visa application.  If you have applied for a visa, and it has been refused, you must apply to the Visa Compliance Team for another CAS.

  1. A valid passport.

If you are applying for your visa in a country other than the country of your nationality, you must also provide your visa which allows you to reside in that country. (e.g. if you are applying for a Student visa with your Brazilian passport in Canada, you must also provide your Canadian residence visa).

  1. Qualification

All the qualifications detailed in your offer letter with official translation (where applicable).

You must have passed all of your examinations, meeting your offer requirements, and have provided us with your official final results from the awarding body.

  1. Unconditional offer

Your offer from the Northeastern University London admissions department must be unconditional for the Visa Compliance Team to issue your CAS.

Students who are coming to Northeastern University London to study a NU Mobility Programme must have received an offer from the NU Admissions department.

  1. Deposit

You must have paid your international student deposit before we can issue your CAS. Information on how to pay your international deposit can be found in your offer letter.

5. Proof of English language

Evidence of English language qualifications (if specified in your offer letter). For a list of acceptable English Qualifications, please see our entry requirements.

6. Bank Statements

You must be able to show that you have enough money to support yourself and pay your tuition fees while studying at Northeastern University London. 

You must show your first year of fees as confirmed on your CAS (minus any fees you have paid) + living costs of £12,006.00.

These funds must have been held in your bank account for a consecutive 28 day period. At no time during the 28 days period can the balance fall below the required amount (e.g. if you are required to show £25,000, the balance of the account must be at least £25,000 or above for 28 days, including the closing balance date). The closing balance of the statement must be no more than 31 days old at the time of your visa application.

These funds must be in a personal account in your or your parent’s name.  Business and Trust accounts are not acceptable. The funds must be able to be withdrawn at any time. We will accept formal bank statements issued by the bank.

If you are using your parent’s bank account as evidence of finance, you must also provide a birth certificate or adoption certificate to prove the relationship between you and the account holder.

The account holder must also provide a letter confirming your relationship and that they consent to you using the funds in the account for the payment of your fees and living costs while you are studying at Northeastern University London.

7. TB Certificate

Some students are required to take a tuberculosis test as a part of their visa application.  Please be aware that you will need to provide a TB test from a UKVI approved testing clinic.

8. Translation of documents

If you are providing documentation that is not entirely in English, you will need to also provide a full official translation of the documentation.  

The translation must meet all of the following UKVI requirements:

  • be made by a professional translator or translation company; and
  • include confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document; and
  • include the date of the translation; and
  • include the translator’s full name and signature OR the full name and signature of an authorised official of the translation company; and
  • include the translator/translations company’s contact details.

Applying from outside the UK

Once you have received your CAS you will need to apply for your visa via the UKVI website.

Make sure that you answer all of the questions honestly and do contact the Visa Compliance Team ( if you have any questions.

In order to collect your BRP card from Northeastern University London you must make sure that you provide Northeastern University London’s ACL code when you complete your online visa application. When you are completing the ‘Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Collection’ page, please select ‘Alternative Location’ and enter NCH’s ACL code 3HE367.

Applying from inside the UK

Only students who meet very particular requirements can apply for their visa in the UK. Please contact the Visa Compliance Team ( to discuss your situation further.

When you have made your visa application you will need to pay for the visa and also the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). This is a mandatory fee related to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). This fee must be paid in full in order for your visa to be processed. Failure to pay the correct amount could result in your visa being refused.

You can use the IHS calculator to see how much you need to pay.

EU Nationals

You will complete your visa application online and then verify your identity using the UKVI ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app.

Biometric Appointments

You will complete your visa application online and then attend a biometric appointment at Visa Application Centre, or a VFS Global Centre. Please make sure you follow all of the instructions given to you when you make your application and biometric appointment, ensuring that you take the correct documents with you to the appointment.

Sending your passport for processing

Some students may need to send their passport to a processing centre after they have attended their biometric appointment.  Please make sure that you read all of the documentation that is given to you at your appointment as it contains important information regarding the processing of your passport.

As part of your application, you may be asked to attend an interview with the UKVI.  If you are invited to an interview by the UKVI and you do not attend, your visa will be refused.

If you are asked to attend an interview by the UKVI and you cannot demonstrate the correct level of English, or that you have genuine intentions to study, your visa will be refused.

EU Nationals

You will receive a digital immigration status which you can view and share online. This is your visa for the entirety of your programme of study.

Other nationalities

You will receive an ‘Entry Clearance vignette’ visa sticker in your passport.  This Entry Clearance is a 90-day visa that allows you to travel to the UK.

Once you are in the UK you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card. If you nominated Northeastern University London as your Alternative Location for BRP collection, you will collect your BRP card at enrolment.  Otherwise, you are responsible for the collection of your BRP card at your nominated Post Office. 

This BRP card is your visa for the duration of your programme of study.


Once the Visa Compliance Team has received all of your documentation, they will review your information, and then issue your CAS if all the information meets college and UKVI requirements.  

If your documents meet all the requirements, your CAS will be issued within 5 working days.

However, the requirements for your documentation are very specific and we cannot issue your CAS until your documents meet all requirements.  We may require you to provide more information, depending on your circumstances, or if you have failed to provide all the required documentation. This can cause delays, so we advise you to contact the Visa Compliance Team as soon as you have accepted your offer and we can start the CAS process.

Can I come to the UK on holiday and apply for my visa while I am there?

No, if you are applying for your first visa with Northeastern University London, you must apply from your home country. You cannot apply for your Student Visa in the UK.

Students who have already had a visa to study with Northeastern University London should contact the Visa Compliance Team ( to discuss their situation further.

Once you have your CAS from Northeastern University London you can apply for your visa outside of the UK up to six months before the start date of your programme.

You can check visa processing times on the UKVI website.  Northeastern University London advises students to apply for their visas as soon as possible to avoid any delays in their arrival.

Nationals of some countries do not need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their funds when they apply for a Student Visa. However, a visa caseworker may ask for these documents at a later stage of the visa processing.

Northeastern University London still requires ‘low-risk’ nationals to provide all documentation in order to issue their CAS to avoid visa refusal and any delays in the processing of the visa application.

The UKVI calls this the ‘differentiation arrangement’ for ‘low-risk applicants’. Nationals of the following countries qualify for differentiation arrangements:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • The Dominican Republic
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States of America

On your visa application, you must select that you will collect your BRP card from a Post Office. Please use the University’s postcode (E1W 1LP) when selecting your Post Office collection point.

You can call or email our Visa Compliance Team:

+44 (0) 207 637 4550