Applications open for 2023 entry Apply online now

Student Visas

If you are an international student who is coming to Northeastern University London to study a programme that is longer than 6 months, you must apply for a Student Visa before coming to the UK. This visa has replaced the Tier 4 visa.

To be eligible for the Student Visa, you will need to demonstrate that:

  • you have been offered a place at Northeastern University London
  • you can speak, read, write and understand English
  • you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • you genuinely intend to study in the UK.

Under the Student Visa, students are permitted to enrol and study their programme with Northeastern University London.  Full-time students are able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during term breaks or vacations.

You must apply for this visa before you arrive in the UK, it is not possible to switch from a  Standard Visitor Visa  to a Student Visa.

Irish Citizens

Irish citizens are protected as part of Common Travel Area arrangements. Therefore, Irish citizens do not require permission to come to the UK (except in a very limited number of circumstances), and as a result, are not eligible to apply for a Student Visa.

EU/EEA nationals

EU/EEA nationals who do not have Pre-Settled or Settled Status, or another UK visa that allows them to study, will need to apply for a Student Visa.

EU Settlement Scheme – If you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

If you’re an EEA or Swiss applicant already living in the UK, you’ll need to have applied for settled or pre-settled status by 30 June 2022.

Before you apply to work or study in the UK under the points-based immigration system, you should check if you’re eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you or your family member started living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline to apply was 30 June 2021 for most people. Check if you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Other UK Visas

If you are an international student who has another UK visa that allows you to study in the UK for the duration of your programme, you may not need to apply for a Student Visa. Please contact the Visa Team ( to discuss your immigration requirements further.

For more information regarding the Student Visa application process please visit our dedicated application process page.