Applications open for 2023 entry Apply online now

If you need to talk to someone urgently

Call Samaritans any time you like, talk in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you: 116 123

London Nightline provides emotional support to students in distress. Their phones are manned from 18.00 to 08.00 during term time: 020 7631 0101.

Providing you are registered with a GP you can contact your local Crisis Team who are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are registered with Holborn Medical Centre your Crisis Team contact number is 020 3317 6777. If you are registered elsewhere, please contact your GP for further details.

Additionally, the following resources might be helpful:

  • Samaritans (24/7 listening support)
  • Nightline (Term-time listening support) between 6.00pm and 8.00 a.m.
  • Papyrus (Support line for those who are experiencing thoughts of no longer wanting to live)
  • Self-Injury Support (Helpline for women affected by self-injury)
  • CALM (Helpline for men experiencing emotional distress)
  • BEAT (Helpline for those experiencing eating disorders)
  • Switchboard (Helpline for those identifying as LGBT+)
  • We Are With You (Provides information and guidance on drug and alcohol use)
  • NHS Gender Identity Support (Information for those questioning their gender identity)

Tips on Staying Healthy and Happy

  • Talk about your feelings
  • Keep active
  • Eat well
  • Drink sensibly
  • Keep in touch with friends and loved ones
  • Care for others
  • Take a break
  • Do something you enjoy
  • Be kind to yourself
  • Ask for help


We strongly recommend that you register with a local doctor within two weeks of arrival for the duration of your course.

You can find your nearest GP through the NHS Find a GP website.

You can only be registered with one GP at a time, but if you would like to switch practices, the student support adviser will help you do this.


If you are 19 or older, you do not automatically receive free NHS dental care. You may be eligible for an HC2 certificate, which will entitle you to financial assistance with NHS charges. You can apply for an HC2 certificate by completing an HC1 form, which is available from your dentist. The application process normally takes up to six weeks and is dependent upon your means. Please note that the HC2 certificate also entitles you to free prescriptions and eye tests. It is only valid for six months and requires re-application after that time.

If you require dental care and have not obtained a HC2 certificate yet, you must pay for your NHS dental care. If you keep your receipts you can obtain a refund of your charges when you receive your certificate.

You can find your nearest Dentist through the NHS Find a Dentist website.

NCHSU Welfare Officer & Northeastern University LondonSU Diversity Officer

The NCHSU Welfare Officer & Northeastern University LondonSU Diversity Officer are elected students who act as a focal point for pastoral issues within the student community. The SUWO and DO are available to listen to, and support students who wish to discuss issues external to their programme of study,  which may be negatively affecting their College experience or academic performance. The SUWO and DO can provide impartial advice and access the resources available on matters such as health, a family crisis, a disagreement or settling into university life.

Sexual Health and Awareness

For many students, university marks the point in their lives when they become sexually active.  The best way to protect yourself and your partner is to always use a condom and try to carry one at all times if you are sexually active. If you do have unprotected sex (or the condom splits/comes off) go to your local sexual health clinic as soon as possible, to talk about STI tests and emergency contraception. Condoms are available in the student bathrooms.

It is also important to remember that you have complete autonomy over your body – never do anything that you don’t feel totally comfortable with and report any abuse or violence to the police or SAS.

To find your local sexual health clinic, visit the find a sexual health clinic website.

Other useful sites include: