Problems with your BRP or Passport
If you have an error on your BRP card or your passport or BRP card has been lost or stolen, you must contact the Visa Compliance Team as soon as possible and follow the instructions below.
When you receive your BRP card you must check that all of the information on the card is correct. This includes:
- Your name, gender, date of birth, nationality
- Type of Visa
- The length of your visa (programme + period granted after the programme)
- Sponsor licence number (62XFXQV13)
If there is a problem with your BRP card you must report it to the UKVI within 10 days of receiving the card. If you do not report the error within 10 days, you may be charged to make a BRP replacement application.
You must inform the Visa Team as soon as possible (email@example.com).
- Double-check that you have not misplaced your card. Check with First Point at Devon House that your card has not been handed to them.
If you report your BRP card lost or stolen to the UKVI, and then subsequently find it, you will no longer be able to use it, as the UKVI has cancelled your BRP card.
Make sure you keep a record of the report reference number as you will need this when you make your report to the UKVI.
- Report the loss/theft to the UKVI
You will also apply for a replacement card (if there are more than 3 months remaining until your visa expires). You must do this as soon as you have noticed that your BRP card is missing, and in any case no later than 3 months after the loss/theft.
A new BRP card costs £75.20. The standard processing time for a new card is 8 weeks. During this time you cannot travel outside the UK. If you wish to apply for the super-priority service, there is a cost of £875.20.
Failure to report your BRP lost or stolen can result in a fine of up to £10,000 and can have implications to your current visa and any future visa applications.
Note: If you have less than 3 months remaining on your visa before it expires, please contact the Visa Compliance Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your situation.
Note: you cannot travel outside of the UK without your BRP card.
If you are not in the UK and your BRP Card has been lost or stolen you must:
- Report the loss/theft to the local police station. Make sure that you obtain evidence of the report (e.g. police report, report reference number).
- Report the loss/theft online to the UKVI.
- You must apply online for a 30-day single-entry visa to temporarily replace your lost/stolen BRP card. The cost of a single entry visa is currently £154.00.
Please contact the Visa Team (email@example.com) for a letter confirming that you are studying with Northeastern University London.
Do not try to travel to the UK without your single entry replacement visa vignette – you will be denied entry by immigration authorities at the port of entry.
- When you have received your single-entry vignette, you need to send a copy to the Visa Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once you have used the replacement visa to enter the UK you will need to apply for a new BRP card (please see our information regarding ‘BRP Lost or Stolen in the UK’).
If you are in the UK, have a visa that requires you to have a BRP card, and you have received a new passport, you must inform the Visa Team (email@example.com) immediately and bring it to First Point at Devon House for processing.
The Visa Team will report this change to UKVI and update the University’s records.
If you have a new passport from a country that is a different nationality from the passport that you have used to apply for your visa, you will need to contact the Visa Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, as this may affect your visa.
If you are in the UK and have lost your passport or if it has been stolen you must take the following steps:
- You must report this to the Metropolitan Police immediately. Make sure that you keep a copy of the police report or report reference number.
- You must then apply for a new passport with your embassy.
Do not try to travel outside of the UK if you do not have a passport. You will not be able to leave the UK until you have your new passport.
- Inform the Visa Team (email@example.com) of your new passport and bring it to First Point at Devon House for processing.
If you are on a Standard Visitor Visa please contact the Visa Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your steps will be slightly different.
If you lose your passport while you are outside of the UK you must:
- Report this to the local police station (keeping a copy of any police report or reference number).
- Apply for a replacement passport with your home country’s embassy.
- Contact the Visa Team (email@example.com) to inform them of your situation.
If you are on a Standard Visitor Visa please contact the Visa Compliance Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your steps will be slightly different.
Do not try to travel to the UK without a new passport.
Even if you have a BRP card, you cannot travel to the UK until you have your replacement passport. UK immigration will not allow you to enter the UK without a passport.