BSc (Hons) Data Science
BSc (Hons) Data Science
|Degree Awarding Body:||
Northeastern University London
Semester in USA (Optional)
|Eligible for Double Degree?:|
6th September 2023 (see academic calendar)
|Annual Tuition Fees:||
Available September 2023
83% (National Student Survey 2022)
As data becomes one of the world’s most valuable resources, the demand for data scientists is rising rapidly. Organisations and service providers are looking to increase their technological capacities and their requirements for programming and machine learning skills to analyse and interpret data. Data Science has emerged as a vital discipline. Read more
The BSc (Hons) Data Science focuses on the collection, storage, retrieval and computational analysis of data in various forms (from images to text) and scales (from small to big data), covering key topics such as programming, machine learning and data mining, and information visualisation. The programme teaches the knowledge and techniques to program with data, learn from data, interpret and visualise it in a way that solves real-world problems.
This degree programme combines a rigorous data science syllabus with a personalised elective pathway. Through elective courses, students can either choose to deepen their focus on data science, or further contextualise and broaden their studies with courses that match other interests and goals (for example, in politics, business, or history).
The BSc (Hons) Data Science is designed to equip students with core tools and skills that will enable them to tackle real-world challenges at the heart of our digital economy. These valuable and transferable skills open up a wide array of career possibilities upon graduation, preparing students to become the next-generation leaders with sustained impact and success.
Focus on one subject or study multiple subjects. Flexible Elective Pathway courses will enable students to choose to either:
- Deepen focus in their degree subject
- Combine their studies with courses in a particular second subject
- Explore a broad range of subjects, developing agile thinking across disciplinary boundaries
- Art & Design
- Computer Science
- Creative Writing
- Data Science
- Politics & International Relations
- Philosophy, Politics & Economics (PPE)
- Technology & Ethics
What makes our BSc (Hons) Data Science different?
- Rigorous, in-depth core subject study
- Interdisciplinary degrees, built around real-world problems
- Flexibility to create your own academic pathway with elective courses
- Gain core competencies and develop practical and transferable skills for your future career
- Embedded experiential opportunities to drive real-world change
- Explore the big issues that need agile thinking crossing subject boundaries
- Acquire the knowledge and experience that will empower you to make a meaningful impact in a fast-changing world
- Experience a semester abroad at one of Northeastern University’s campuses in the USA
Your learning experience
You will experience learning at the University through a combination of formats and class sizes. Some of our courses are delivered through a high number of scheduled teaching or ‘contact’ hours, while others focus on smaller, more personalised, guided independent study, or hands-on or community-based projects. Read more
Our academic staff selects the most appropriate pedagogy and contact hours for each individual course in order to support students to develop and succeed in their studies. This means that within your undergraduate Data Science degree you are likely to experience a combination of scheduled lectures, workshops, seminars and tutorials. The exact balance of these types of learning and number of contact hours will depend on the specific electives and optional courses you choose.
Most lectures and seminars will have a maximum of 20 student participants, while tutorials will typically have five or fewer students, and may sometimes be one-to-one. This personalised approach to teaching allows everyone to participate and thrive.
Core competencies are embedded within our Data Science degree programmes, preparing you for your future career while you are studying, so that you stand out from the crowd and are ready to succeed as soon as you graduate. Read more
By the time you graduate, you will have taken courses fulfilling the following three competencies:
- Writing Across Audiences and Genres
- Integrating Knowledge and Skills Through Experience
- Demonstrating Thought and Action in a Final Project (can be dissertation)
You will also have taken courses inculcating a minimum of four of these additional competencies, depending on your learning pathways:
- Engaging with the Natural and Designed World
- Exploring Creative Expression and Innovation
- Interpreting Culture
- Conducting Formal and Quantitative Reasoning
- Understanding Societies and Institutions
- Analysing and Using Data
- Engaging Differences and Diversity
- Employing Ethical Reasoning
Advisors will help to identify aspirations and explore careers, as well as assist with the development of CVs, and developing an ‘elevator pitch’ to differentiate yourself in a crowded market. Advisors guide students through making the most of Linkedin, and applying for internships, placements, and graduate jobs.
Our Advisors are here to help you achieve your ambition and have expertise in a wide range of sectors including professional services, government, creative industries, law, and banking.